Old Map of Hemingbrough

 

Headline News for 1875

View an 1854 map of Hemingbrough

History of Hemingbrough


Hemingbrough Parish fills up, the southern extremity of the "Wapentake" of the Ouse and Derwent, and the village lies not far from the Ouse. The name probably signifies, probably, the birig or burg of Hemma or Hemming, some very ancient landowner or chieften. Hemming was a common Norse name in old times, and Hemma occurs in the Liber Vitae of the monastery of Durham. The place is called Hamiburg in the Doomsday Survey. The birig or burg according to historian's thoughts was an ancient tower or fort near or on the present church, of which some remnants may exist today in the rude grit-stones, which may be observed in the west wall of this building. But whether a Roman fort stood here or not, it is evident from the terminal of the name, that there was a burg or fortification of some kind early in the Saxon period, and as Heming was a common personal name among the Norsemen, it is probable that the first. Tradition runs that Romans had a series of forts on the banks of a river, two miles or so apart, to keep navigation open, and that there was one here. There is no proof of this, however a single copper coin of Victorinus, found in the village, is the only token of the presence of Roman on the spot. Many years ago the church stood originally on the bank of the river, in a position, which commanded a clear view for a considerable distance up and down stream. In Saxon times there is nothing is known of Hemingbrough. It had been regarded as part of Howdenshire. The early history of the two districts is quite different. Howdenshire, by some early and unknown grant, belonged to the rich monastery of Peterborough, but was taken from it by Edward the Confessor for some reason. At the time of the Doomsday Survey, Howdenshire was the property of William of St. Calais, Bishop of Durham and his successors, by the gift of William the Conqueror. Hemingbrough when the survey was taken, was in the king's hand, having been previously in that of Tosti, or, as the charter of William to Durham asserts, in those of the Earls Tosti and Siward, showing that it was an appendage of the earldom. It is most likely that the men of Hemingbrough joined their feudal lord in his insurrection against Harold and fought and fell by his side at the battle of Stamford Bridge. The rebellion of Tosti would bring Hemingbrough by forfeiture to the king. William gave it, shortly before his death, to God and St. Cuthbert, and the Prior and Monks serving God at Durham. Dedicated to the Blessed Virgin, the church was made collegiate in 1426, for a provost, three prebendaries, six vicars coral, and six clerks, but these privileges ceased with the dissolution. Of a large cruciform structure comprising in its present plan a nave with aisles on each side, and a south porch, a spacious chancel with an almost equally large aisle on the south side, and a small aisle and vestry on the north side, north and south transepts, and a central tower surmounted by a lofty spire. The first church that occupied the site was built in Saxon times, and is mentioned in Doomsday Book. But every trace of that edifice has disappeared, and of the Norman church that succeeded it there now remain only the two eastern most bays on each side of the nave. The church appears to have been remodelled and enlarged in the 13th century, and traces of the Transitional style, which then prevailed, are visible in almost every part of the edifice. The transepts, originally built when the remodelling took place, were very considerably altered in the Perpendicular period, a clerestory being added, and the large five-light windows inserted in the north and south gables. Further enlargements were made in the 15th and 16th centuries by the addition of aisles to the chancel, and the widening of the north aisle of the nave. The beautiful tapering spire, rising to a height of 191 feet, was added in the 15th century.

Page 1 2 3

A shocking accident occurred at Cliffe at the Hemingbrough station, whereby a life was lost when someone was run over by a pick-up goods train from Selby to Hull.

Bulmers Directory

Baines Directory

Transcript of the entry for the Post Office, professions and trades for HEMINGBROUGH in Bulmer's Directory of 1892.

Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" for HEMINGBROUGH in Baines's Directory of 1823

Census 1821

Historical Maps

Abstract of Population Census 1821 East Riding of Yorkshire, including York.

Let our researchers at Ordnance Survey's Historical Maps Archive help you roll the clock back and uncover the history of your own special area of the country.

home | history | businesses | sports clubs | tourism

Copyright©HemingbroughOn-line2008